leftchannel
headline

I Heart Ants

I can't help it- I am totally obsessed with these insects! I even stopped myself from doing the ant stomp when I found an anthill in my yard this weekend.

The ant farm is going swimmingly- the ants haven't stopped tunneling and now they cruise through their labyrinth with ease. I am sad to say that we have lost a few along the way. (moment of silence please) The deceased have all been carried out of the tunnels and laid on the surface. When I am 100% sure they are dead and not just in a reeeaaaalllly deep sleep, I will respectfully remove them and lay them to rest outside. Welcome to the food chain...lunch is served birdies!

The whole purpose of buying and...what is the right word?...raising?...hosting?...creating?, this ant farm...hmm. Well,the whole reason I got this ant farm was to have a real-life example to show young children during Cantigny's Sprouts program- a nature based story time we offer each month.

This month's theme was Gone Buggy! The first week we talked about bug bodies and what separates bugs from insects (true insects must have two antennae, six legs, three body parts, and an exoskeleton- wings are optional), the second week we explored insects that fly and this past week we discussed insects that crawl and hop- including the wonderful, amazing, ever-popular ANT.

The children (ages 3-5) were captivated by the ant farm and loved watching the ants crawl through the tunnels! They were quite curious and inquisitive. The most popular question was, "Can they get out?"

Observing the ants provided a great opportunity for music and movement- we hopped like grasshoppers, flapped our wings like butterflies and crawled on all fours- much like our six legged friends. Then, after marching with maracas to the classic "Ants Go Marching" tune, we worked on two simple ant crafts that you can try at home! I will explain them- with pics- in the next post.

I'll leave you with something else to try at home- my favorite insect song! It's to the tune of Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.

Head, thorax, abdomen, abdomen
Head, thorax, abdomen, abdomen

Two antennae, six legs and sometimes wings,

Head, thorax, abdomen, abdomen

There are optional movements-
-Point to head, chest and tummy- repeat
-Make antennae by holding up one pointer finger on each side of your head (sort of like bull horns)
-Hold up three fingers on each side of your body and put your hands at hip level to show your "six legs"
-Do the standard thumb in the armpit chicken wing OR arms out to the side airplane style
-Point to head, chest and tummy- repeat

Sing and move faster and faster and faster until you are all giggling and out of breath and dancing like- well, what else? Like you've got ants in your pants!

1 comment: